We have been made aware of a Respondus error that is appearing to students within the Respondus Lockdown Browser that will keep students from being able to attempt their quizzes unless settings are changed by the instructors. We are in the process of working with Respondus to resolve the cause of this issue, but it appears there are some quick solutions that have been able to resolve the problem as we await a permanent fix.
For students, when they go to take the test, they are met with this warning message:
"There is a problem with the settings for this exam. Please notify your instructor that they need to access the LockDown Browser Dashboard once in the new course to fix this problem."
Not all students receive this error and there are some that are still able to attempt the test, but for the ones that run into this issue they are kicked out automatically after clicking "Ok" to acknowledge the message. As an instructor you are met with three screens when accessing the dashboard:
- This screen is displays that every test using Respondus Lockdown Browser is marked with a green Required and is accompanied with the tag "Requires Respondus Lockdown Browser" after the name of the test. This tag is added automatically when you opt to use Respondus Lockdown Browser and should not be altered or removed from the name of the quiz at any time when editing.
- This screen displays an error accompanied by a Fix It button when accessing the dashboard, this means that most students will not be able to attempt the quiz until you click Fix It. After clicking Fix It the button will go away and the test will be marked Required and accompanied with the tag "Requires Respondus Lockdown Browser" after the name of the test to ensure you are set and students can take the exam in Lockdown Browser.
- This last screen is a little bit different as it looks very similar to the first screen as we see a screen with no errors upon accessing the dashboard, but there is an error that will inevitably keep some students from accessing those exams. These tests have not applied the new dates, settings, and data of the current semester if they were a copied course or there was altering to the name of the exam while editing that caused the "Requires Respondus Lockdown Browser." With this particular error, it cannot be seen within Safari, Chrome, or Firefox every time and may require accessing the course from with the Respondus Lockdown Browser in order to actually see the error.
So what are some ways to go about fixing this issue?
- Make sure students are on the most up-to-date version of Respondus by clicking the information icon within the browser and clicking "Check for Newest version" or by accessing the download URL which are located in these places:
- When using IE, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari to access a Quiz that requires Respondus LDB
- Student Guide to Canvas
- Click the Fix it button in the event that you do see it within your Lockdown Browser Dashboard
- If a student is unable to access a test requiring Lockdown Browser, prompt them to let you know immediately and submit a Help desk ticket so we may take a look at the issue:
- Within Canvas: Via Help (Top Right)>eCampus Helpdesk>Submit a Request
- Via this link: NCTC eCampus Help Desk