Turnitin is a plagiarism detection and prevention service. Students submit their paper via a Turnitin submission page which can be accessed through Canvas. Turnitin can be configured for any assignment requiring file upload or text entry from a student.
In order to implement Turnitin within Canvas. Take a look at his video or follow these steps below:
1. When creating your assignment, choose External Tool as the Submission type.
2. Click find in order to bring up a list of available external tools.
3. Scroll down and choose Turnitin.
4. You will now see a URL: for Turnitin inside the URL text box, you may select Load in a New Tab if you choose to but it is not required, then click the blue select button.
5. Complete the other information for your assignment and click save. It is important that you set a Due date and Available from date and an Until date for Turnitin to capture these settings and allow students to submit.
- Follow below in order to ensure your Turnitin assignment is accessible to students.
6. After you click save or save & publish and then you will be taken to the newly created assignment page. If you selected Load in a new tab during Step 4 move on to the next step. If not, move forward to Step 8.
7. Click Load in a New Window (if you selected the option above) to access the assignment and a new window will open. If you did not select, open in a new window, you will be taken to a new page where Turnitin will load and will ask for you to accept a user agreement.
- If you skip this step and do not access the assignment at least once after it has been created, students will not be able to submit.
8. Finish off by changing the settings in Turnitin to your liking.
: Some Canvas settings such as the title, the assignment open, and the assignment close dates will be pushed to Turnitin automatically as long as they were set in the Canvas assignment settings.
: Optional Settings are located here for further customization of Turnitin Features, this included settings to show originality reports to your student as well as other Turnitin settings.
Once you click submit and you are taken back to the Assignment inbox Tab, you may close out of the window and your Turnitin Assignment is now enabled for students to submit (based on your assignment availability settings).
9. Link to or provide information to your students in your Canvas course on how to submit a Turnitin assignment successfully!
For Turnitin technical support please submit a request.
As this is not a system the eLearning Department has direct access to, further assistance may have to come from Turnitin Technical Support if the issue cannot be resolved.